US, Nigeria Say Senior Islamic State Leader Killed In Joint Operation
by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Chief International Correspondent
ABUJA (Worthy News) – Nigeria and the United States confirmed Saturday that they had killed a senior Islamic State group leader during what officials described as a major joint counterterrorism operation in northeastern Nigeria.
The militant, identified as Abu Bakr al-Mainuki, was described by U.S. President Donald J. Trump as the “second in command globally” within Islamic State, also known as ISIS, though analysts cautioned his exact position in the group’s hierarchy could not be independently verified.
Nigerian President Bola Tinubu called the strike a “daring joint operation” that dealt a “heavy blow” to Islamic State militants operating in West Africa.
According to Nigerian and U.S. officials, al-Mainuki and several of his lieutenants were killed during a coordinated overnight assault on a fortified compound in the Lake Chad Basin region near Metele in Nigeria’s northeastern Borno State.
The Lake Chad Basin is a vast region of waterways, marshes, and difficult terrain shared by Nigeria, Chad, Niger, and Cameroon that has long served as a stronghold for Islamist insurgents.
JOINT U.S.-NIGERIA OPERATION
Trump announced the operation in a late-night social media statement, saying the militant leader “thought he could hide in Africa.”
“He was the number two for ISIS globally,” Trump wrote. “We had sources who kept us informed on what he was doing.”
Nigeria’s military described the mission as a “highly complex precision air-land operation” carried out during several hours of darkness without casualties among government forces.
Military spokesman Sani Uba said the killing represented “the single most consequential counterterrorism outcome” in the region since multinational operations against Islamist groups began in 2015.
U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth also described al-Mainuki as a senior Islamic State figure responsible for overseeing attacks, hostage-taking operations, and financial activities linked to ISIS affiliates.
CHRISTIAN GENOCIDE CLAIMS
The operation came months after Trump accused Nigeria’s government of allowing what he called a “Christian genocide” and designated the country a “Country of Particular Concern.”
Trump has repeatedly alleged that Christians in Nigeria are being targeted by Islamist militants, accusations Nigeria’s government has denied.
Critics of Trump’s position say Nigeria’s violence also affects many Muslims, including in the north, where insurgent attacks, kidnappings, and banditry have killed thousands of people.
Earlier, on Christmas Day last year, the United States launched strikes against Islamic State-linked targets in northwestern Nigeria.
Trump said at the time that ISIS militants had been “viciously killing, primarily, innocent Christians at levels not seen for many years, and even centuries.”
“I have previously warned these terrorists that if they did not stop the slaughtering of Christians, there would be hell to pay,” Trump added. “And tonight, there was.”
The strikes reportedly involved more than a dozen Tomahawk cruise missiles fired from a U.S. Navy ship in the Gulf of Guinea against ISIS camps in Sokoto State in coordination with Nigerian forces.
CHRISTIANS UNDER PRESSURE
Nigeria ranks seventh on the annual World Watch List compiled by advocacy group Open Doors, which monitors persecution against Christians worldwide.
Open Doors reported that 3,490 Christians were killed in Nigeria between October 2024 and September 2025, adding that more Christians are killed for their faith in Nigeria than in the rest of the world combined.
“In Nigeria, Christians suffer significant and severe persecution,” Open Doors said in a recent assessment. “Nigeria has been the most violent place in the world for followers of Jesus for several years.”
The group also noted that several northern Nigerian states operate under Islamic law, known as Sharia, creating what it described as discrimination against Christians and converts from Islam.
Islamic State’s influence has shifted heavily toward sub-Saharan Africa in recent years after the collapse of its self-declared caliphate in Iraq and Syria.
ISLAMIST INSURGENCY EXPANDS
Analysts say roughly 90 percent of ISIS attacks worldwide now occur in sub-Saharan Africa, with Nigeria-based militants among the group’s most active branches.
Al-Mainuki was reportedly a leading figure in Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), which split from the Boko Haram extremist movement in 2016.
Security analyst Malik Samuel of Good Governance Africa said the reported killing could significantly weaken the group.
“If confirmed, this is huge,” Samuel said. “This is the first time a security agency has killed someone this high in the ranking of ISWAP.”
The operation reflected a growing military partnership between Washington and Abuja.
GROWING SECURITY PARTNERSHIP
The United States deployed military advisers and drones to Nigeria earlier this year as part of expanded intelligence-sharing and counterterrorism cooperation.
Nigeria has struggled for years with armed Islamist groups, banditry, kidnappings, and communal violence that have destabilized large parts of the country, particularly in the north.
Despite disagreements over the causes of the violence, both the Nigerian and U.S. governments say they are determined to intensify efforts against Islamic State-linked militants operating across West Africa.
💡 Did you know? One of the best ways you can support Worthy News is by simply leaving a comment and sharing this article.
📢 Social media algorithms push content further when there’s more engagement — so every 👍 like, 💬 comment, and 🔄 share helps more people discover the truth. 🙌
Latest Worthy News
If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.
