State Dept: $400M payment to Iran was contingent on prisoner release
(Worthy News) – The $400 million cash payment sent to Iran earlier this year was reportedly contingent on the release of American prisoners being held there, the State Department said, according to The Associated Press.
State Department spokesman John Kirby said the negotiations regarding the $400 million were conducted separately from talks about the American prisoners. But the U.S. withheld the cash until the prisoners had left Iran.
He spoke after a Wall Street Journal report came out Wednesday saying that U.S. officials wouldn’t allow Iranians to take control of the $400 million in cash sent to the country until three American prisoners had left Iran. [ Source ]
💡 Did you know? One of the best ways you can support Worthy News is by simply leaving a comment and sharing this article.
📢 Social media algorithms push content further when there’s more engagement — so every 👍 like, 💬 comment, and 🔄 share helps more people discover the truth. 🙌