TEHRAN, IRAN (Worthy News)– Iran's negotiations with six global powers regarding its nuclear program may need to be extended for another six months if no agreement is reached by a July 20 deadline, a senior Iranian official said on Monday.
"We hope to reach a final agreement (by July 20) but, if this doesn't happen, then we have no choice, but to extend the Geneva deal for six more months while we continue negotiations," Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi told Iran's state news agency IRNA.
Recently, talks were stalled when Iran said it should be able to produce fuel for its Bushehr nuclear power plant.
Iran recently submitted documents to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) for the first time, claiming its testing of a nuclear detonator was meant only for civilian purposes. While Iran denies any interest in nuclear weapons, IAEA officials have other documentation indicating those experiments were linked to setting off a nuclear charge.
Iranian leaders have emboldened their position in recent weeks.
Last week, Iran's spiritual leader said regarding the threat of attack by the United States, "They realized that military attacks are as dangerous or even more dangerous for the assaulting country as they are for the country attacked," according to the New York Times.
A "military attack is not a priority for Americans now," he concluded. "They have renounced the idea of any military actions."
Israeli officials are skeptical that a deal will be reached, and if necessary are willing to take military action against the Islamic republic.
Israeli Defense Force Chief of Staff, Benny Gantz, said on Monday, "I am convinced that Iran must be stopped before it achieves nuclear power, which, in turn, will spark an arms race. With the help of the international community, we can make it so that Iran will never get there, be it by use of force or without the use of force. Iran must not achieve nuclear power."