Worthy Christian News » Vote Overturns Centuries of Christian Tradition

christian news

Worthy Christian News » Vote Overturns Centuries of Christian Tradition

By Joseph DeCaro, Worthy News Correspondent

LONDON (Worthy News)– The Church of England voted Monday to permit female bishops, thereby overturning centuries of tradition, according to The Blaze.

A majority of the General Synod voted in favor of the measure. To pass, the vote required a two-thirds majority of all three synod houses: the House of Bishops vote was 37 to 2, the House of Clergy was 162 to 25 and the House of Laity approved it 152 to 45.

Female bishops will be ordained later this year; women have served as priests in the C of E since 1994.

Parishes that do not wish to be pastored under a female can request a male bishop as ordaining women breaks with the tradition of male only overseers that dates back to the Twelve Apostles.

Copyright 1999-2014 Worthy News. All rights reserved.

Fair Use Notice:This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

8 Comments on this post.

• Walt Kam
    16 July 2014 at 1:26 am - Reply

TRADITION IS ONLY TRADITION AND DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT OR TRUE?

• Joe DeCaro
      16 July 2014 at 6:46 pm - Reply

Comments are traditionally posted in both upper and lowercase.

• WorldGoneCrazy
        16 July 2014 at 6:51 pm -

Clever, Joe, VERY clever. :-) Took me a minute: well-done!

• WorldGoneCrazy
        16 July 2014 at 6:53 pm -

One more thing, Joe: If I had been drinking anything, you would owe me a new monitor. :-) PS. You are an engineer, right? If not, you should be.

• wandakate
    16 July 2014 at 11:03 am - Reply

WALT: Agree…Our traditions have done us more harm than good. Good Friday-Easter-Halloween-Christmas are all tradition and none of them are ordained by GOD. They are all pagan. In this day and age we are in there is more wrong than right and more false than true. We have broken all the original intentions of GOD and the forefathers and now judgments will be upon us from Almighty GOD and we will meet our own fate. Women were never supposed to preach as the Bible says they are not to preach. JESUS CHRIST chose 12 disciples and they were all men. If He would have intended for women to preach He would have chosen some women but He did not. The man is the head of the household, not the woman. He created Adam first and then Eve. That should tell us something.

• Joe DeCaro
      20 July 2014 at 12:37 pm - Reply

Birthdays are traditions that are also disallowed by Jehovah's Witnesses.

• WorldGoneCrazy
        20 July 2014 at 4:05 pm -

Another good point, Joe. And, I might add that many traditions are quite good: the Church's opposition to abortion and homosexual behavior was established quite early as part of Biblical orthopraxy. In fact, a great question to ask fellow believers who are in favor of same-sex "marriage" is: how did the Church get this wrong for nearly 2000 years?

• wandakate
    21 July 2014 at 7:18 pm - Reply

Yes, I remember someone telling me they didn't celebrate a birthday. I don't believe that a birthday is pagan, or had anything at all to do with pagans or heathens. I have celebrated mine. I celebrate because I am very grateful to GOD that he has allowed me another year in my life and that he is keeping me safe and sound up until that day. Birthdays are a joy as far as I'm concerned. BUT, I am not a Jehovah's Witness member.

• Make us your homepage

What is Worthy News?

Worthy News is an independent Christian news agency which reports news not covered by other outlets, on key developments in a rapidly changing world. Worthy News reaches both Christians and non-Christians around the globe and strives to be balanced and make a difference in these strategic times.

Worthy News. Reliable-Trustworthy-Cutting Edge

Recommended Links

1999-2014 Worthy Christian News » Vote Overturns Centuries of Christian Tradition