U.S. Envoy Barrack Presses Beirut on Hezbollah Disarmament Amid Israeli Pledge of Support


lebanon worthy ministries 2

by Emmitt Barry, with reporting from Worthy News Jerusalem Bureau Staff

BEIRUT/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) -– U.S. special envoy Thomas Barrack met Lebanese President Joseph Aoun at Baabda Palace on Tuesday for high-stakes talks on Hezbollah’s future, warning that Lebanon risks sliding back into civil conflict unless progress is made on disarmament.

Barrack, joined by State Department spokesperson Morgan Ortagus, confirmed that Beirut plans to unveil by August 31 a formal proposal for disarming Hezbollah, the Iran-backed group that has long resisted giving up its arsenal. “No one wants to see a new civil war erupt in Lebanon,” Barrack said, urging swift action.

The visit followed Barrack’s meetings in Israel earlier this week with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who said Israel was prepared to take “reciprocal measures” if the Lebanese Armed Forces move decisively to disarm Hezbollah. “If Lebanon takes the necessary steps, Israel will engage in a phased reduction of IDF presence in coordination with the U.S.-led security mechanism,” Netanyahu’s office stated.

The U.S.-brokered ceasefire of November 2024 remains the framework for current negotiations, obliging Hezbollah fighters to retreat north of the Litani River while Israel gradually withdraws from Lebanese territory. However, Israel has maintained five security outposts in the south and carried out over 500 airstrikes against Hezbollah positions, citing violations of the truce.

Hezbollah, weakened but defiant after more than a year of cross-border fighting, continues to reject disarmament. Deputy leader Naim Qassem insisted Monday that the group’s weapons remain “non-negotiable” until Israel fully complies with the ceasefire. The statement came just hours after an Israeli drone strike in southern Lebanon killed a Hezbollah operative accused of rebuilding military infrastructure.

Despite the setbacks, Lebanon’s cabinet this month approved U.S. proposals for a national disarmament framework by year’s end. Netanyahu praised the move as “a crucial opportunity for Lebanon to reclaim its sovereignty and restore the authority of its state institutions.”

Whether Hezbollah lays down its arms and Israel responds in kind may well define the next phase of the ceasefire and the broader stability of the region.

17
people are currently praying.

💡 Did you know? One of the best ways you can support Worthy News is by simply leaving a comment and sharing this article.

📢 Social media algorithms push content further when there’s more engagement — so every 👍 like, 💬 comment, and 🔄 share helps more people discover the truth. 🙌

Latest Worthy News

Northern Ireland Christians Plan New March For Jesus After Thousands Join Belfast Rally
Deadly Russian Strikes Devastate Kyiv, Kill at Least 23 (Worthy News Radio)
China Detains Priest On ‘Illegal Business’ Charges Over Sermon Recordings
Northern Ireland Christians Plan New March For Jesus After Thousands Join Belfast Rally
Vietnam Police Raid House Church Meeting In Broader Crackdown
Ukraine’s Zelenskyy Condemns Hungary For Banning Ukrainian Commander After Pipeline Strikes
Pentagon Launches Probe Into Microsoft Over Chinese Engineers on Defense Cloud Contracts
California Christian Baker Asks U.S. Supreme Court to Hear Same-Sex Wedding Cake Case
Federal Appeals Court Revives Christian PA’s Lawsuit Against University of Michigan Over Firing for Religious Beliefs
Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. All rights reserved.

If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.

Worthy Christian News