Worthy Christian News » Israel-Palestinian Conflict » Kerry to outline US assurances to Israel, Gulf to lawmakers
(Worthy News) - Secretary of State John Kerry will send a letter to all members of Congress on Wednesday outlining US security commitments to Israel and the Gulf Arab states in light of the Iran nuclear deal.
State Department officials said Tuesday the letter would be sent shortly before Kerry delivers what is being billed as a major policy speech on the Iran agreement in Philadelphia. The officials said the speech, a week before Congress returns to work, will focus on how the deal makes the US and its allies safer.
Kerry will also attack what the officials said is a “mythology” of false claims about what the deal will do. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to preview the speech by name. [ Source ]
What America will offer Israel after the nuclear deal
* Maintaining Israel’s qualitative military edge in the region, even as the United States enhances the military capabilities of Arab Persian Gulf allies that, similar to Israel, will be seeking reassurances in the wake of the Iran deal;
* Enhancing joint missile defense programs;
* Extending the defense assistance memorandum of understanding, which since 2008 has provided Israel with an average of $3 billion in defense assistance per year, for another 10 years (it’s set to expire in 2018), and delivering promised F-35 advanced fighter aircraft to Israel;
* Enhancing joint civilian scientific research and development;
* Delivering advanced bunker-buster bombs to maintain Israel’s deterrent edge should Iran cheat on or abandon the deal. “Israel should be given this special kind of ordnance so it could have a more effective military option in case of Iranian violations of the agreement,” Arad said, arguing that this would strengthen the agreement by creating a disincentive for Iran to cheat.
* A “declaratory” component emphasizing US longstanding commitments to Israel.
* Making clear that the US effort to stop the expansion of Islamist terrorism and extremism targets Iranian activities as well as those associated with the Islamic State terrorist group. [ Source ]