by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – A series of brutally murderous attacks by Islamic State terrorists in northern Mozambique, close to the site of a multi-billion gas project, has caused thousands of people to flee for safety, CBS News reports. According to international aid agencies, some 6,000 to 10,000 people are awaiting evacuation to the provincial capital of Pemba after the attacks began in Palma on Wednesday last week.
The Palma attacks are part of an ongoing Islamic terrorist insurgency that began in Mozambique in 2017. Nearly 700,000 people have already been displaced.
In the fresh series of attacks that began last week, dozens of men, women, and children were brutally murdered as Islamic militants raided Palma, a strategic town close to which a multi-billion-dollar gas project is being built by France’s Total energy company. The town is also home to around 75,000 people.
According to reports, some of those killed, including children, had been beheaded. Bodies were reportedly strewn in the streets.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack on Palma, and said it is now in control of the town. In a statement Monday, the terrorists said: “Islamic State militants launched a major attack on the economic city of Palma near the Tanzanian border last Wednesday, engaging Mozambican forces inside the city using various types of weapons,” The terrorists added that their assault had “led to the killing of 55 Mozambican troops and Christians, including some foreign contractors.”
If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.