(Worthy News) – North Korea said Friday it test-fired a new anti-aircraft missile, the fourth weapons launch in recent weeks that experts say is part of a strategy to win relief from sanctions and other concessions.
South Korea, Japan and the United States typically publicly confirm North Korean ballistic missile launches, which are banned by U.N. resolutions, soon after they occur. But they did not do so for Thursday’s, indicating the weapon tested may have been a different kind. Seoul’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said Friday that South Korean and U.S. intelligence authorities monitored moves by North Korea but didn’t elaborate.
Three weeks ago, North Korea resumed missile tests after a six-month lull. As it has sometimes done before, the North combined the show of force with a more conciliatory gesture, offering earlier this week to reactivate hotlines that North and South Korea use to set up meetings, arrange border crossings and avoid accidental clashes. [ Source: Washington Times (Read More…) ]
North Korea threatens UN Security Council after emergency meeting over its missile launches
North Korea warned the U.N. Security Council against condemning its missile launches following the international body’s emergency meeting on the issue Friday.
France sent around a proposal to the council during an emergency closed-door meeting on Friday, expressing concern over North Korea resuming its missile launches. It called on the U.N to enforce its resolutions banning the country from continuing the launches, The Associated Press reported.
Senior North Korean Foreign Ministry official Jo Chol Su warned the U.N. Security Council on Sunday that it “had better think what consequences it will bring in the future in case it tries to encroach upon the sovereignty” of the country, according to the news wire. [ Source: Just the News (Read More…) ]