Three more abducted missionaries released by Haiti gang
by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – Three more Christian Aid Ministries hostages in Haiti were released Sunday by the Haitian 400 Mawozo gang, which had abducted 17 of the US organization’s missionaries (16 Americans and one Canadian) on October 16, the Washington Times reports. Few details on the new releases have been given for security reasons; two of the missionaries were previously freed on November 21.
Notoriously violent and powerful, the 400 Mawozo gang has demanded a $1 million ransom for the release of each hostage. In a video message published days after the kidnapping, gang leader Wilson Joseph said: “I will prefer to kill them and I will unload a big weapon to each of their heads.”
In a statement about Sunday’s release of the three missionaries, Christian Aid Ministries said: “We are thankful to God that three more hostages were released last night. Those who were released are safe and seem to be in good spirits.”
The Biden administration has been working toward the release of the missionaries in what the Times described as an “active but low-key role.” An FBI team was sent to Haiti to work with local officials on securing the freedom of the group.
One of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere, Haiti is overrun by gang violence as it deals with the recent assassination of President Jovenel Moise, a second devastating earthquake, and massive fuel and consumer goods shortages, the Times said.
If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.