By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
PALM BEACH, USA (Worthy News) – Former U.S. President Donald Trump did not plan to leave a coastal area in the U.S. state of Florida despite mandatory evacuations as Nicole intensified into a Category 1 hurricane, an adviser said.
Ahead of the storm, the surge threat prompted mandatory evacuations in several coastal areas, including Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach County, where Donald Trump was staying. The former president did not plan to leave, although his club was closed, an aide explained.
Conditions were deteriorating as the storm approached, with the worst expected overnight into early Thursday morning.
The National Hurricane Center said the unusually late-season hurricane would unleash a dangerous storm surge or rise in ocean water above normally dry land, hefty rain, and damaging winds gusts.
Nicole became the third hurricane to form this month in the Atlantic, meaning 2022 is now tied with 2001 for most November Atlantic hurricanes. Nicole followed Lisa and Martin, which also reached hurricane strength, experts say.
Reports of coastal flooding were increasing as winds gusted over some 86 kilometers (60 miles) per hour and downpours intensified.
The incoming storm surge, or rise in ocean water above normally dry land, had already damaged docks, boardwalks, and some buildings.
The storm was projected to make landfall between early Thursday, with the greatest likelihood somewhere between West Palm Beach and Melbourne.
The storm came as preparations were underway for a November 19 prayer breakfast at the Hilton Airport Palm Beach in Florida, which would likely be attended by former President Trump and other public figures.
“This is a tipping point for the nation as we unify to believe for spiritual awakening,” said hostess Merrie Turner.