Chinese Balloon Shot Down Over US After Pressure


By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

china worthy christian news

WASHINGTON (Worthy News) – U.S. President Joe Biden confirmed Saturday that he ordered the American military to shoot down a suspected Chinese spy balloon over the United States following mounting pressure.

The attack, underscoring worsening Sino-U.S. relations, came after questions among legislators and others about why Biden took so long to destroy the balloon, which was spotted over sensitive nuclear sites.

A U.S. Air Force fighter jet fired a single missile into the balloon six miles (nearly 10 kilometers) off the coast of South Carolina when it was over the Atlantic Ocean in U.S. territorial waters, confirmed the president, who is commander-in-chief. “We successfully took it down, and I want to compliment our aviators who did it,” President Joe Biden said.

He spoke as an operation was underway to recover debris from the balloon in the Atlantic Ocean.

Footage aired live of the balloon, which was floating at an altitude of around 60,000 feet, showing it deflating and falling toward the water below. President Biden had earlier declined to shoot it down, fearing casualties on the ground because of falling debris, officials said.

U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin said Biden “gave the authorization” to take out the balloon “as soon as the mission could be accomplished without undue risk to American lives under the balloon’s path.

The Pentagon had never ruled out the balloon would be shot down over water.

NUCLEAR MISSILES

First seen over Montana, home to one of America’s three nuclear missile silo fields at Malmstrom Air Force Base, the massive white orb, about the size of three school buses, had been crossing the U.S. for days.

Beijing expressed regret with the Chinese Foreign Ministry admitting the balloon was indeed theirs in a statement Friday but insisted it was “a civilian airship used for research, mainly meteorological purposes.”

In separate remarks Saturday, it said that Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi had spoken with U.S. Secretary of State Anthony Blinken, who postponed his trip to China over the ballooning controversy.

They “communicated on how to deal with accidental incidents in a calm and professional manner,” the Chinese ministry said.

The statement came hours after the U.S. military claimed it observed another Chinese surveillance balloon flying over Latin America without providing further details on its location.

Analysts say Saturday’s decision to shoot down the balloon was a signal to China, with Beijing investigating American military preparedness ahead of a possible military confrontation with the U.S. over Taiwan.

Beijing regards the democratically ruled island as its territory, and China watchers said the balloon was a “trial balloon” to see how far Washington was willing to use its military against a perceived Chinese threat

Biden last year told the U.S. television show “60 Minutes” that American troops would defend Taiwan, but the White House rushed later to say this is not “official” U.S. policy.

14
people are currently praying.

💡 Did you know? One of the best ways you can support Worthy News is by simply leaving a comment and sharing this article.

📢 Social media algorithms push content further when there’s more engagement — so every 👍 like, 💬 comment, and 🔄 share helps more people discover the truth. 🙌

Latest Worthy News

Shooting Outside White House Leaves One Dead, One Injured
IDF Prepares Lebanon Options as Possible U.S.-Iran Deal Raises Questions Over Hezbollah War
Russia Uses Hypersonic Missile In Deadly Pentecost Sunday Attack On Ukraine
Netanyahu Says Trump Agrees Iran Deal Must Dismantle Enrichment Sites, Remove Uranium
Iran Denies Uranium Concession as U.S. Ceasefire Framework Faces Nuclear, Lebanon Hurdles
Trump Slows Iran Deal Push, Says U.S. Blockade Will Stay Until Agreement Is Signed
Government Spending On Seniors’ Benefits Soon To Make Up Majority Of Federal Budget
Drone Strike On Middle East’s Largest Nuclear Plant Raises Fears Of Wider Iran Conflict
Magyar: Hungary And Brussels To Sign Deal On Unlocking Billions In Frozen EU Funds
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. All rights reserved.

If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.

Worthy Christian News