Power Restored At Ukraine Nuclear Site After Deadly Strikes
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
KYIV/BUDAPEST (Worthy News) – Power has been restored to Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, Europe’s largest after massive Russian strikes killed at least nine people, authorities said Thursday.
The operator of the Ukrainian power grid said supplies had been interrupted following a deadly barrage of over 80 Russian missiles prompting concerns from the United Nations nuclear watchdog.
Critical infrastructure and residential buildings in 10 regions were hit, President Volodymyr Zelenskiy confirmed. “The occupiers … won’t avoid responsibility for everything they have done,” he added.
The attacks briefly disconnected the Zaporizhzhia plant, which forced emergency diesel power to prevent a meltdown. It was later reconnected to Ukraine’s energy grid, operator Ukrenergo said.
The UN’s nuclear watchdog chief, Rafael Grossi, told his board of governors that “urgent action was needed” to protect the Zaporizhzhia plant’s safety and security.
Ukraine’s air force said the difficulties began when Russia launched 81 missiles alongside eight Shahed drones.
It claimed to have shot down 34 cruise missiles and four of the drones, but it wasn’t enough to prevent the deaths of at least nine people.
KILLED IN WESTERN REGION
At least six of those who died were killed in a strike on a residential area in the western Lviv region, 700km (440 miles) from the frontline, Ukrainian emergency services said.
Three buildings were destroyed by fire after the missile attack, and rescue workers were reportedly combing through rubble looking for more possible victims.
Russia also used powerful rare hypersonic missiles in the worst attacks in weeks, Ukrainian authorities warned.
Moscow had reportedly not fired Kinzhal hypersonic missiles – which can evade air defenses – since the conflict’s early months.
Elsewhere, Ukraine’s military claimed it had pushed back intense Russian attacks on the embattled eastern city of Bakhmut despite Russian forces claiming to have taken control of its eastern half.
Between 20,000 and 30,000 Russian troops have been killed or wounded in the Battle of Bakhmut since it began last summer, Western officials said.
Those figures could not be verified independently, but it has become clear that both sides have lost thousands of people in the devastating war.
If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.