U.S. Strikes Iran After Tankers Hit In Strait Of Hormuz, Revokes Oil Waiver


trump middle east worthy christian newsWashington says Tehran violated the ceasefire by targeting commercial shipping, as explosions were reported in southern Iran and pressure mounts on the regime after Khamenei’s funeral processions.

by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Washington D.C. Bureau Chief

(Worthy News) – The United States launched a new wave of military strikes against Iran on Tuesday after three commercial tankers were struck by projectiles in or near the Strait of Hormuz, sharply escalating pressure on Tehran and placing an already fragile ceasefire under one of its most serious tests.

U.S. Central Command said American forces had begun “a series of powerful strikes” against Iranian targets in response to attacks on commercial shipping crewed by civilians in a vital international waterway. CENTCOM said the Iranian attacks were “unwarranted, dangerous, and a clear violation of the ceasefire.”

The strikes came after a day of massive funeral processions in Iran for slain Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, whose death has inflamed public anger toward the United States, Israel, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and President Donald Trump. Iranian crowds in recent days have again chanted threats against America and Israel, underscoring the ideological fury still driving Tehran’s posture even as negotiations continue.

Iranian state media reported explosions early Wednesday local time in southern Iran, including on Qeshm Island, in Bandar Abbas, and in the port city of Sirik. The semi-official Fars News Agency reported multiple blasts, including 10 explosions in Sirik and four in Mesen on Qeshm Island. Iranian reports said several people were injured by shrapnel after what was described as an “enemy projectile” struck a commercial pier in Sirik.

A U.S. official told Reuters that the American strikes targeted Iranian air defense systems, coastal surveillance systems, surface-to-air missiles, anti-ship cruise missiles, and drone launch sites. Axios, citing a U.S. official, reported that the new strikes were four or five times larger in scope and power than U.S. strikes carried out 10 days earlier.

The military action followed reports that three tankers had been struck by unknown projectiles in and near the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most strategically important maritime chokepoints. The British navy-affiliated UKMTO reported that a tanker was hit near Oman, while Fox News reported that vessels including a Qatari liquefied natural gas carrier and a Saudi crude tanker were among those struck.

A source with knowledge of the attacks told The Jerusalem Post that Iran was responsible for launching at least five drones and missiles at three ships in the strait over the past day. There was no immediate claim of responsibility from Tehran.

Washington also revoked a temporary sanctions waiver that had allowed Iranian oil sales, tightening economic pressure on the regime as the Trump administration continues to press for a final settlement to the conflict. A U.S. official said Iran’s actions in the Strait were “wholly unacceptable” and would be met with consequences.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry condemned the Treasury move, accusing Washington of violating the memorandum of understanding and warning that Tehran would take any steps it deemed necessary to protect its interests and national security. Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi also accused the United States of violating the agreement, citing both the renewed strikes and recent Israeli actions in Lebanon.

The escalation unfolded as President Donald Trump was in Ankara, Turkey, for a NATO summit, where alliance leaders were also discussing defense spending, weapons procurement, and the broader threat posed by Iran, Russia, and China. Reuters reported that NATO allies unveiled major arms deals at the summit, while Trump continued to press allies over burden-sharing and support for U.S. policy in the Middle East.

Jason Brodsky, policy director of United Against Nuclear Iran, said the cost of Tehran’s violations of the memorandum of understanding was rising. Hussain Abdul-Hussain, a research fellow at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, called the renewed strikes a “brilliant step,” saying CENTCOM was “disciplining Islamic Iran” after the regime tested American limits.

The renewed confrontation places the ceasefire in a perilous position. While Tehran continues to accuse Washington and Israel of violating the agreement, U.S. officials say Iran’s targeting of civilian-manned commercial vessels made a response unavoidable.

19
people are currently praying.

Worthy News reports from a biblical worldview with a commitment to accuracy, transparency, and editorial independence. Learn more about About Worthy News, our Editorial Standards, AI Use Policy, Ownership of Worthy News, News Tips and Corrections, and Worthy News Staff.

💡 Did you know? One of the best ways you can support Worthy News is by simply leaving a comment and sharing this article.

📢 Social media algorithms push content further when there’s more engagement — so every 👍 like, 💬 comment, and 🔄 share helps more people discover the truth. 🙌

Join the Facebook discussion

Latest Worthy News

Archaeologists Uncover Possible Exodus-Era Site Along Egypt’s Ancient Military Road
Israel’s High Court Blocks Army Radio Closure, Citing ‘Improper’ Motives
Netanyahu Tells Kushner Israel Remains Firmly Opposed to Palestinian State
Sweden’s King Mourns Victim Of Deadly High School Sword Attack
Ukraine Seeks More Satellite Support As Russian Strikes Drive Up Civilian Toll (Worthy News In-Depth)
Ukraine’s Mobilization Drive Faces Scrutiny Amid Abuse Claims (Worthy News In-Depth)
Hungary’s New President Urges Reborn Public Media To ‘Tell The Truth’ As Orbán Ally Quits
North Korea Fires 10 Ballistic Missiles After U.S., South Korea Shorten Joint Drills
Pentagon Orders 30 Universities to Review Foreign Research Ties Amid China Security Concerns
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. All rights reserved.

If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.

Books by George Whitten

Identity in Messiah Revealed cover

Identity in Messiah Revealed https://identityinmessiah.com

A devotional journey calling believers out of self-doubt and into confident, Kingdom-rooted identity in the Messiah.

Buy on Amazon
The Eternal Kingdom Revealed cover

The Eternal Kingdom Revealed https://eternalkingdomrevealed.com

The Eternal Kingdom Revealed traces the Kingdom of God as the central story of Scripture, from before creation to the restoration of all things.

Buy on Amazon

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Worthy Christian News