(by Jordan Hilger, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu promised a wider military offensive in the Gaza strip to be launched shortly, seeking to alleviate concerns of residents in the coastal enclave of Ashkelon Thursday.
Netanyahu assured attendants of the city hall meeting that the effort would not be part of any political calculation in light of the premier’s upcoming reelection bid in September, but rather an answer to longstanding criticism of the Israeli leader for his apparent laxity in confronting the Hamas terror group militarily.
“A feeling and a reality of security” for southern residents will be the object of the operation, Netanyahu said, which he enigmatically promised would be “not only broad, but also surprising.”
Israel reached a tenuous ceasefire with the Gaza-based terror group Hamas last month, after Israeli firefighters put out 383 fires between April and June of this year started by incendiary balloons from the Gaza strip.
On Tuesday the militant group conducted massive military exercises in what some said was an unprecedented drill.