by Jordan Hilger, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) - The US has taken its sanctions campaign against Iran to unseen heights as the possibility of a meeting between President Trump and Iranian President Hassan Rouhani disappeared at the UN General Assembly this week.
Following Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin’s announcement last week that the US had “now cut off all source of funds to Iran” with new sanctions imposed on the Islamic Republic’s Central Bank, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced this week that five Chinese nationals and six entities transacting with Iran, including two associated with the Costco Shipping Corporation, had been sanctioned as well.
“No responsible government should subsidize Iran’s bloodlust. As long as Iran’s menacing behavior continues, sanctions will not be lifted, they will be tightened,” the President said in his speech before the UN General Assembly Tuesday, dismissing Hassan Rouhani’s precondition for talks.
The EU released a joint statement at the meeting of world powers in New York concurring with the findings of both the US and the Saudi defense ministry that attacks on a Saudi oil facility almost two weeks ago were the work of Iran, despite initial claims from Yemeni Houthi rebels that they were behind the incident that hindered 5% of global oil production temporarily.
Trump said the sanctions imposed by Mnuchin on the Central Bank of Iran, the National Development Fund of Iran, and an Iranian counterterrorism company culminated a campaign that constituted the “highest sanctions ever imposed on a country.”