State Dept. says it will impose “snap back” sanctions on Iran, despite US withdrawal from Nuclear Deal


by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent

iran worthy christian news

(Worthy News) – As the US believes Iran has continued to develop nuclear weapons, and as the United Nations arms embargo on Iran expires next month, the State Department announced Wednesday that it is pressing forward with “snap back” sanctions that are provided for under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) Iran Nuclear deal, Fox News reports. Under the terms of the JCPoA, snapback sanctions can be re-imposed if Iran is perceived to be violating the terms of the agreement. However, as the Trump administration withdrew from the JCPoA in 2018, UNSC members Britain, China, France, Germany, and Russia have unequivocally stated the US has no authority to unilaterally enforce snapback sanctions once the current embargo is lifted on October 18.

Making the case for re-imposing sanctions, US Special Representative for Venezuela and Iran Elliott Abrams has said there could be repercussions for the international community if they tried to engage in arms trade with Iran after next month’s embargo expiry date. The US said it would impose sanctions not only on Iran but also on any nation which violates the terms of the embargo as it now stands, Fox News reports.

“It is astonishing that anyone would think or have thought it sensible to allow the arms embargo on Iran to expire next month, given that regime’s role in destabilizing Iraq, Syria, Yemen, and Lebanon and its continuing support for terrorism,” Abrams said at a press conference.

Nevertheless, UNSC members Germany, France and Britain reiterated in a joint statement last month: “Our position regarding the effectiveness of the U.S. notification pursuant to resolution 2231 has consequently been very clearly expressed to the presidency and all U.N.S.C. Members. We cannot, therefore, support this action, which is incompatible with our current efforts to support the JCPoA.”

Following Wednesday’s State Department announcement, a senior UN Security Council diplomat told Reuters : “It’s like pulling a trigger and no bullet comes out. There will be no snapback, the sanctions will remain suspended, the JCPOA (nuclear deal) will remain in place.”

13
people are currently praying.

💡 Did you know? One of the best ways you can support Worthy News is by simply leaving a comment and sharing this article.

📢 Social media algorithms push content further when there’s more engagement — so every 👍 like, 💬 comment, and 🔄 share helps more people discover the truth. 🙌

Latest Worthy News

National Guard Family Pleads For Prayers After Washington Shooting Near White House
Orban’s Secretive Moscow Trip Sparks EU Anger As Hungary Deepens Dependence On Russian Energy
Ukraine Crisis Deepens As Zelenskyy Aide Resigns Amid High-Stakes Peace Talks
Scores Dead In Sumatra Flooding As Christians Plead For Prayers; Powerful Aceh Quake Deepens Crisis
Massive Hong Kong Tower Fire Sparks Manslaughter Arrests
More Bodies Found After Deadly Floods, Landslides In Indonesia
Poland Resists EU Court Order On Same-Sex Marriage Recognition
Orbán Expected To Visit Moscow For Talks With Putin, But Trip Remains Unconfirmed (Worthy News Focus)
Two National Guardsmen Critically Wounded in Ambush Near White House; Suspect Identified as Afghan Immigrant Who Entered U.S. in 2021
Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. All rights reserved.

If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.

Worthy Christian News