Israel has not ruled out pre-emptive strike on Iran
by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – Israeli Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Tuesday that Israel is not ruling out a preliminary strike against Iran, the Jerusalem Post reports. The PM made his statement during a memorial service for those who died in the Yom Kippur War, when Arab states led by Syrian and Egyptian armies ambushed Israel in a surprise attack on October 8th 1973. At the time of the strike which led to war, Israel had been observing Yom Kippur, the most solemn and holy day in the Jewish calendar, and a time when the country comes to a standstill.
“A preemptive strike [on Iran] is a difficult thing to do,” Netanyahu said in his memorial address at Mt. Herzl in Jerusalem. I know that if Iran wants to base itself in the North, we are ready to fight them. This is a direct lesson of the Yom Kippur War. We will do everything in order to protect the State of Israel; we are not ruling out a preliminary strike.”
Also present at the memorial was service was Israel’s President Reuven Rivlin, who said a surprise attack such as Israel suffered in 1973 must not be repeated – not only in regard to security but also in regard to health and the economy, the Jerusalem Post reports.
“The surprise that was our lot in that war must not be forgotten and must not be repeated: not in security, but also not in health or in the economy,” the president said.
“Our national security requires a rebuilding of the contract between the public and its elected representatives, respect for the law and obedience to guidelines, and the reconciliation of the deep rifts among the people,” Rivlin asserted.
If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.