by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – US Defense officials said Monday they believe Iran was behind last week’s drone attack on an American military base in Syria, the Associated Press (AP) reports. Although the drones involved in the attack on the al-Tanf base were discovered to be Iranian, officials said it appears they were not launched from Iran.
Officials speaking to AP on condition of anonymity said that on October 20, up to five drones carrying explosives hit the al-Tanf garrison, on both the US and Syrian sides, AP reports.
In a statement to reporters Monday, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby refused to provide details but said the drone assault had been a “complex, coordinated and deliberate attack,” AP reports.
Kirby that such attacks have previously been inflicted on the US from Shia militia groups that are backed by Iran, but would not go into further details or comparisons.
Kirby would not say if US or Syrian troops were given advance notice of the attack or whether the US will respond militarily.“The protection and security of our troops overseas remains a paramount concern for [Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin], and that if there is to be a response, it will be at a time and a place and a manner of our choosing, and we certainly won’t get ahead of those kinds of decisions,” AP reports.
If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.