by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – The United States Army has announced it is investigating whether a US serviceman deliberately detonated the explosives which injured four Americans in a blast at the Green Village US base in northern Syria on April 7, the Independent UK reports.
In a statement, Monday the US Army’s Criminal Investigation Division and the Air Force Office of Special Investigations said a “possible suspect,” has been identified, but no charges have been filed yet.
US officials had originally said they thought the explosion was the result of indirect fire such as from a rocket or mortar launched by a regional militant group. However, a week later authorities said investigations showed the blast had been caused by the deliberate placing of explosives at an ammunition area and shower facility.
“Army CID and Air Force OSI are conducting a joint investigation of the incident. A possible suspect, a US service member, has been identified,” the US military said in a statement.
“At this point, these are just allegations, all suspects are presumed to be innocent until/unless convicted in a court of law. The investigation is ongoing, which may or may not, develop sufficient evidence to identify a perpetrator(s) and have enough evidence to ensure a conviction in a court of law. No further information will be released at this time,” the military statement said.
The four servicemen who were wounded in the April attack were able to return to work following treatment. Some 900 US troops now remain in Syria.
If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.