Central African Republic Gold Mine Collapse Kills More Than 100
by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Chief International Correspondent
BANGUI, CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC (Worthy News) – The death toll from the collapse of an artisanal gold mine in western Central African Republic has risen to more than 100, with others still missing or trapped beneath rubble, underscoring broader concerns about safety risks faced by miners across the region, rescue workers and local officials said.
The low-tech Zamboye gold-mining site collapsed Tuesday, August 18, near the border with Cameroon, about 50 kilometers (31 miles) from the town of Baboua.
Officials warned the death toll could rise further as rescuers continued searching for people still missing or buried beneath the rubble.
Besides those killed, several survivors were critically injured, said Gervais Ganagoroh, a local Red Cross volunteer involved in relief efforts.
HOPES FOR SURVIVORS FADING
Florian Gaguende, one of the miners who survived the disaster, said rescuers were searching for colleagues believed trapped beneath the collapsed site, but warned that the chance of finding them alive “is getting slimmer.”
Another miner, Cedric Mbango, said “the ground completely collapsed and buried people,” describing the disaster as “catastrophic.”
“Finding them alive would be a miracle,” added Bertrand Be Yangué, a member of the Zamboye youth council. “We are saddened and heartbroken to see young men and women perish after coming to the mines to save their families from despair.”
Footage from the scene showed miners, many of them young men and women covered in mud, pulling a body from the pit as dozens of people gathered across the sprawling mining site, some shouting for help.
INVESTIGATION INTO MINE COLLAPSE
Amid the suffering, authorities opened an investigation to determine the cause of the disaster, identify the victims and those responsible for operating the site, and establish whether there was criminal liability.
The Baboua public prosecutor said preliminary information suggested that several underground tunnels in which miners were working had collapsed, triggering the disaster.
Artisanal mine collapses occur regularly in the Central African Republic, where thousands of people depend on small-scale extraction for their livelihoods despite often working with little protective equipment or adequate safety measures.
The Zamboye disaster highlighted the economic desperation driving young people into dangerous mining operations in one of the world’s poorest nations, which has struggled for years with armed conflict, political instability and weak state institutions.
ILLICIT GOLD MINING CONCERNS
The area has also faced security concerns surrounding illicit mining.
A United Nations panel reported earlier that the armed group Return, Reclamation, Rehabilitation, known as 3R, had been involved in illicit mining and trafficking operations in the Zamboye area of Baboua sub-prefecture near Cameroon.
Authorities and rescue workers said efforts were continuing to recover those still buried.
Yet, hopes of finding more survivors were fading as families awaited news of missing relatives.
Worthy News reports from a biblical worldview with a commitment to accuracy, transparency, and editorial independence. Learn more about About Worthy News, our Editorial Standards, AI Use Policy, Ownership of Worthy News, News Tips and Corrections, and Worthy News Staff.
💡 Did you know? One of the best ways you can support Worthy News is by simply leaving a comment and sharing this article.
📢 Social media algorithms push content further when there’s more engagement — so every 👍 like, 💬 comment, and 🔄 share helps more people discover the truth. 🙌
Latest Worthy News
If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.
