Trump: ’Not Nearly Enough’ Progress Made in Talks Between Pence and Mexican Foreign Minister on Trade Tariffs and Immigration Crisis
by Jordan Hilger, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) - “Not nearly enough” progress was made in a discussion between Vice President Mike Pence and Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard Wednesday, according to President Trump, who decided last month to place a 5% trade tariff on all Mexican goods entering the US until Mexico stems the tide of migrants coming through its northern border.
Vice President Pence had expected to hear “tangible measures” to be implemented by the Mexican government “immediately” ahead of the meeting but was apparently disappointed.
“A number of possibilities were discussed that need to be looked at in more detail to try to find some common ground,” said Ebrard, whose government allowed 132,887 people to cross its border with the US in the month of May alone, a tally the Trump administration said was the highest seen by a single month in a decade.
“We are bursting at the seams. It is unsustainable,” said Randy Howe, executive director for operations at the Office of Field Operations at U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), whose unit apprehended 4,100 people and had 19,293 people in custody on a single day this week, June 4th.
63% of the people apprehended by the CBP in May were minors or families, leading many to call the situation a humanitarian crisis. In lieu of the proper facilities to house the sheer number of people detained, border authorities released 75,000 families on March 19th who were determined to have no criminal background.