(Worthy News) - Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Sunday said Iran 'probably and could have been' planning to target the U.S. embassy in Baghdad and three other diplomatic facilities abroad in the days leading to the American strike that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani.
The Pentagon chief’s comments come amid growing frustration over vague comments from President Trump and top administration officials about the rationale behind the strike on Soleimani — a move that brought the U.S. and Iran to the bring of all-out war last week. Lawmakers of both parties say the administration has yet to provide definitive, specific information about the threats posed by Soleimani and the Iran-backed militias he controlled.
Mr. Trump on Friday said the threat “probably” involved coordinated attacks on four U.S. embassies. Mr. Esper stood behind that assessment but also offered qualifiers, conceding that there was no hard evidence specifically related to looming threats to four embassies. [ Source (Read More...) ]