Low TV viewer turnout for first night of 2020 Democratic convention


by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent

bigstock Television Streaming Video Me 269870230 tv services

(Worthy News) –
The first night of the virtual Democratic National Convention (DNC), which had been moved online due to COVID-19 concerns, has been described as a “media disaster.” TV viewership of Monday night’s event was reportedly down at least 25% from the live DNC convention of 2016.

The CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox News, MSNBC and CNN major TV networks averaged 18.68 million viewers during the overlapping hour of coverage beginning at 10 p.m. Monday. Viewership figures do not include younger viewers who watched all or parts of the event online rather than on TV, the Hollywood Reporter said.

Most of the speeches had been pre-taped, as the convention was held virtually rather than live, and the proceedings were described as being “exciting as an infomercial,” Zero Hedge reported.

Although the evening featured popular speakers like Michelle Obama and Bernie Sanders, the low TV turnout was expected as an increasing number of viewers tune in to virtual events through streaming services and mobile devices.

“According to Nielsen, from 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. Eastern, Monday’s convention debut drew 2.1 million viewers on ABC, 1.9 million on NBC and 1.7 million on CBS.” Monday night’s viewership figure was less than half what it was in 2016, when 11.6 million people watched the first night of the convention,” Zero Hedge said.

19
people are currently praying.

💡 Did you know? One of the best ways you can support Worthy News is by simply leaving a comment and sharing this article.

📢 Social media algorithms push content further when there’s more engagement — so every 👍 like, 💬 comment, and 🔄 share helps more people discover the truth. 🙌

Latest Worthy News

U.S. Removes Highly Enriched Uranium From Venezuela in Secret Nuclear Security Mission
Netanyahu, Trump Discuss Iran War Options as Tensions Rise After UAE Nuclear Plant Drone Strike
Franklin Graham Says ‘God Did A Miracle’ In Belarus After Largest Evangelical Rally In Nation’s History
WHO Declares Congo-Uganda Ebola Outbreak International Emergency After 80 Deaths
Hungary’s PM Magyar Opens Orbán’s Former Luxury Office Complex To Public (Worthy News In-Depth)
Israel Targets Hamas Leader In Gaza Airstrike Amid Fragile Ceasefire
Suspected Islamist Militants Attack Nigerian School; Dozens Of Students Missing
Federal Court Blocks Texas Border Security Law, Abbott To Appeal
U.S. Announces 45-Day Extension of Lebanon Ceasefire as Hezbollah Fighting Continues Along Israel’s Northern Border
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. All rights reserved.

If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.

Worthy Christian News