Second US Presidential Debate Cancelled After Trump Objects To Format
By Stefan J. Bos, Special Correspondent Worthy News
(Worthy News) -The Commission on Presidential Debates has canceled the second debate between U.S. President Donald Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden after disagreements over the format.
Trump had objected to the proposed “virtual format” that organizers said is necessary as the president was infected with the coronavirus.
The president told several talk shows that he wanted to meet Biden in person.
“I’m not going to waste my time on a virtual debate. That’s not what debating is all about,” Trump said in an interview with Fox Business network. “You sit behind a computer and do a debate, it’s ridiculous. And then they cut you off whenever they want.”
Separately Trump told Fox News that he doubted whether Biden would be able to formulate coherent sentences without outside help. “Well the media in terms of what their doing is actually worse than what you’re saying because it looks to me like they’re asking him a question and then he’s reading an answer off the Teleprompter,” he said.
“It looks to me like he’s been given the questions and he’s reading the answers. That would mean to me that the media is giving him the questions,” the president complained. “They never gave me the questions. I’ll tell you that… It’s obvious that Joe is reading the answers off the Teleprompter.”
Trump, who was diagnosed with COVID-19 last week, was to resume public events this weekend, beginning with an outdoor speech at the White House. The president has also scheduled a campaign rally in Florida on Monday night.
Speaking with radio host Rush Limbaugh for nearly two hours Friday, Trump said he was “not in the greatest of shape” last week. But he credited experimental therapeutic drugs for his improved condition.
Trump angered Democrats seeking to beat him in the November 3 elections by allegedly downplaying the coronavirus outbreak.
“Don’t let it dominate you. Don’t be afraid of it,” Trump said in a recorded video message from the White House earlier this week.
“We’re going back, we’re going back to work. We’re going to be out front. … Don’t let it dominate your lives. Get out there, be careful, ” he told the American people. He has pledged that the army will be involved in the distribution of free medicines and soon vaccines to those who need them.
Authorities claim more than 210,000 Americans have died of the coronavirus in the United States, on a population of more than 330 million people.
If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.