Gunmen Kidnap Christians In Abuja


By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent

nigeria worthy ministries

ABUJA (Worthy News) – Gunmen abducted a Christian father and his teenage daughter from one of Africa’s largest housing estates in Nigeria’s capital Abuja, their neighbor told Worthy News Sunday.

The two Christians, Yusuf Peter, 60, and Abigail Peter, 15, were kidnapped on June 6 in central Abuja’s Housing Estate Gwarimpa, said their neighbor Paul Jongas.

“We heard gunshots, and then they were taken away in a car,” Jongas added. Their whereabouts remained unknown Sunday, he explained.

Jongas, who fled with his family from the kidnappings and killings of Christians in northeastern Nigeria, expressed concern that the violence had also reached the capital.

The attacks have been often linked to Islamic shooters, including terror groups and criminals.

“We don’t know yet whether this is a kidnapping for ransom or religious reasons,” Jongas acknowledged. “However they use in both cases the same tactics,” he added.

GUNMEN STORMING COMPLEX

Witnesses said the gunmen stormed the estate around 04:00 a.m. local time. A taxi driver reportedly noticed that several shooters had invaded the estate. Police initially denied that several residents were kidnapped, saying “the robbers” even left behind items such as phones and a laptop during a chase.

However, residents and family members confirmed the abductions. “The wife raised the alarm of her husband and daughter being kidnapped,” Jongas told Worthy News.

The kidnappings have added to a sense of insecurity among Christians in Nigeria, where thousands of believers have been kidnapped and killed in recent years. Some accused police of “cooperating with terrorists.”

Last week, suspected Muslim herdsmen killed more than 50 Christians, including children, on Pentecost Sunday in the town of Owo in the country’s southwestern Ondo State, authorities said.

Witnesses saw shooters opening fire on worshippers in the Catholic Church of St. Francis Xavier. Current President Muhammadu Buhari has come under pressure to improve security for Christians in a country where Muslims are a slight majority.

The former military ruler swept to a historic election victory in March 2015 when he became the first opposition candidate to win a Nigerian presidential poll.

He may face former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who can run in next year’s presidential election. Jonathan, a Christian who was president from 2010 to 2015, has not yet said if he intends to contest the election.

8
people are currently praying.

💡 Did you know? One of the best ways you can support Worthy News is by simply leaving a comment and sharing this article.

📢 Social media algorithms push content further when there’s more engagement — so every 👍 like, 💬 comment, and 🔄 share helps more people discover the truth. 🙌

Latest Worthy News

Christian Missionary Missing In Mexico After Armed Men Objected To Bible Outreach
Supreme Court Rules For U.S.-Cuban Land Claims
Congress Skips Town Without Passing $72b Immigration Enforcement Bill
USS Nimitz Arrives In Caribbean As U.S. Pressure Mounts On Cuba
Trump Gives Iran ‘Two Or Three Days’ To Offer Peace Deal As Nuclear Standoff Deepens
Baltic States On High Alert After Drone Alert, Russian Threats
US Envoy Suggests Washington Could Expand Presence In Greenland
Trump Plans Talks With Taiwan’s President As China, Russia Condemn US Policy
Hungary’s New Prime Minister Moves To Bar Orbán From Returning To Power
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. All rights reserved.

If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.

Worthy Christian News