by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – In a continued series of recent back-and-forth attacks between the US and Iran-backed militants, three American service members were injured Wednesday during rocket attacks by Iran-backed groups on two US military bases in northeastern Syria, the Washington Times reports.
The attack on Wednesday came a day after the US conducted airstrikes on targets in Deir ez-Zor Syria used by militant groups connected to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. Tuesday’s strikes were themselves carried out in response to an Iran-backed attack on US service members in Syria last week.
According to US Central Command, Wednesday’s rockets hit the perimeter of Mission Support Site Conoco US base just after 7 pm, the Times reports. Several other rockets fell near Mission Support Site Green Village US base. Three service members were treated for minor injuries, one has already returned to duty.
At least two Iran-backed militants were killed in the US response to the attacks, the Times said. Central Command said the US carried out a “proportional and deliberate” response using helicopters. “We are closely monitoring the situation,” CENTCOM Commander Gen. Michael “Erik” Kurilla said in a statement. “We have a total spectrum of capability to mitigate threats across the region, and we have every confidence in our ability to protect our troops and coalition partners from attacks.”
The back-and-forth exchange has been carrying on even as the US and Iran appear close to reviving the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action multi-party treaty, which restricted Iranian nuclear progress in exchange for the lifting of sanctions. The deal fell apart in 2018 when former US President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew the United States from the agreement.
If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.