by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – NATO announced Tuesday it has doubled its presence in the Baltic and North Seas to over 30 warships. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg made the announcement at a press conference, saying the presence of the additional ships follows “the sabotage of the Nord Stream pipelines.”
Stoltenberg began his remarks Tuesday by decrying what he described as Russian President Putin’s increasing resort to “horrific and indiscriminate attacks on civilians and critical infrastructure” in its continued invasion of Ukraine. “[Putin’s] attempted annexations, partial mobilization, and reckless nuclear rhetoric represent the most significant escalation since the start of the war,” Stoltenberg continued. “And they show that this war is not going as planned.”
Moreover, Stoltenberg said, “President Putin’s veiled nuclear threats are dangerous and irresponsible. Russia knows that a nuclear war cannot be won and must never be fought.” Stoltenberg asserted that no change had been noticed in Russia’s nuclear position but that NATO is closely monitoring the situation and remains “vigilant.”
Emphasizing that NATO’s purpose in nuclear deterrence has always been to preserve peace, prevent coercion and deter aggression, Stoltenberg said NATO is not a party to the Russia-Ukraine war, but it is playing a key role in support of Ukraine and will do so until the end of the conflict.
Stoltenberg went on to say that NATO will continue with a long-planned hold deterrence exercise next week called Steadfast Noon. “This is a routine training, which happens every year,” he said. “To keep our deterrent safe, secure, and effective.”