by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – A US military commander on Sunday warned of the danger facing children living in Syria’s Al-Hol displacement camp for ISIS family members after the beheaded bodies of two Egyptian girls were found in the camp’s sewage system on Tuesday, the Christian Post (CP) reports. US Central Command Gen. Michael Kurilla issued his warning after visiting Al-Hol on Thursday.
Al Hol houses over 50,000 people, including 25,000 children, most of whom are family members of Islamic State fighters, CP said.
Run by the Kurdish-led Autonomous Administration for northeast Syria in Al-Hasakah Governorate, the camp has been the site of 28 murders this year so far.
The motive for the beheadings of the two girls remains unknown, but the Kurdish-led U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces accused the Islamic State of carrying them out, CP reports.
In a statement about his visit to the camp on Thursday, CENTCOM Gen. Kurilla said: “The more than 25,000 children at the camp are in danger — the recent beheading of two Egyptian girls, ages 12 and 13, inside the camp is a horrific reminder of that. The children in the camp are prime targets for ISIS radicalization.”
“ISIS adherents in the camp continue to demonstrate their barbaric tendencies, holding women and children captive, inculcating them with their ideologies,” Kurilla said.
“Tens of thousands of the camp residents reject this and do so at great risk to them and their families. In fact, many residents arrived at the camp to escape ISIS, which did not come into al-Hol in large numbers until 2019.”