Gunmen Attack Nigeria Church Killing 3 And Kidnapping 36


By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent

nigeria worthy christian news

ABUJA (Worthy News) – Suspected Islamic gunmen attacked two churches in Nigeria’s northern Kaduna State on Sunday, killing three worshippers and abducting at least 36 people, authorities and witnesses said.

They attacked the Saint Moses Catholic Church and Maranatha Baptist Church in Rubu village, confirmed Kaduna’s Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs Samuel Aruwan.

He added that the gunmen on motorcycles “stormed” Christian communities in the state’s Kajuru local government area.

Aruwan said the shooters rushed through the area’s Ungwan Fada, Ungwan Turawa, and Ungwan Makama communities before attacking Rubu.

Reuben Buhari, a former media adviser to Kaduna’s governor, recalled that due to ongoing violence, villagers “decided to start holding church services early by 7 am so that people can hurriedly go back to their homes. It was some few minutes after 7 am today, while the Catholic and Baptist churches were holding their services when the kidnappers attacked.”

He said it was the latest in a series of attacks against Christians in the village area, where on January 5, 2022, several church worshipers were attacked and some kidnapped. And, “on April 27, 2020, the community was attacked again, and this time, some houses were burnt. Then there was the attack of today, June 18,” Buhari added in published remarks.

BROADER CONCERNS

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the latest attack, which underscored international concerns about anti-Christian violence in Nigeria.

Last year, Nigeria accounted for nearly 80 percent of Christian deaths worldwide, with more than 4,650 believers killed, according to advocacy group Open Doors.

In recent weeks more than 100 Christians were reportedly killed in Nigeria. The death toll includes a Pentecost Sunday attack on a Catholic Church that killed at least 50 worshipers in Ondo State.

A few days before the Owo incident, suspected militants reportedly killed 32 Christians in an Evangelical Church Winning All (ECWA) congregation in Kajuru, Kaduna State.

In Plateau State, which borders the southern part of Kaduna State, two Christian male students were recently killed by suspected Islamic militants, Nigerian media reported.

There were also other deadly attacks and kidnappings amid massive Islamic violence against Christians in several parts of Nigeria, several sources said. Nigeria’s President Awami Dio Maisamari has come under mounting pressure to improve security for Christians in the African nation.

8
people are currently praying.

💡 Did you know? One of the best ways you can support Worthy News is by simply leaving a comment and sharing this article.

📢 Social media algorithms push content further when there’s more engagement — so every 👍 like, 💬 comment, and 🔄 share helps more people discover the truth. 🙌

Latest Worthy News

Christian Missionary Missing In Mexico After Armed Men Objected To Bible Outreach
Supreme Court Rules For U.S.-Cuban Land Claims
Congress Skips Town Without Passing $72b Immigration Enforcement Bill
USS Nimitz Arrives In Caribbean As U.S. Pressure Mounts On Cuba
Trump Gives Iran ‘Two Or Three Days’ To Offer Peace Deal As Nuclear Standoff Deepens
Baltic States On High Alert After Drone Alert, Russian Threats
US Envoy Suggests Washington Could Expand Presence In Greenland
Trump Plans Talks With Taiwan’s President As China, Russia Condemn US Policy
Hungary’s New Prime Minister Moves To Bar Orbán From Returning To Power
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. All rights reserved.

If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.

Worthy Christian News